Monday, June 13, 2011

My Boy Is Six!!

Today, my favorite little guy turned six. I can't believe how big and mature he is getting. I still remember the ornery little toddler who kept me on my toes! He's still ornery and he still keeps me on my toes, but a toddler he is not. He is so full of personality and zeal. He is so passionate about the things he loves. Right now, his passion is cars. He loves all cars, but his all-time fave is Disney Pixar Cars. The new Cars 2 movie is slated to open in a week-and-a-half and my little bud is practically beside himself. So, of course, when I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, his answer was a Cars 2 cake - not a Cars cake, but Cars 2. I had only one problem with that request. Cars 2 isn't out yet and none of the bakeries carry Cars 2 cakes. I had to exercise creativity and make one myself. I am not, nor will I ever profess to be a cake decorator. But I am a mom who loves her boy and wants to make him happy, so I gave it a go.

First, I scoured the web to find ideas. I looked at cakes, pictures and even went to the Disney Pixar site to find out more about the new movie. Then, I had a plan.

Fortunately, Cars 2 toys are at stores. I picked up a small Cars 2 Lightning McQueen and Francesco Bernoulli (a new character) at Target. I bought a toy Hot Wheels trophy at Party City and found these cool sugar sheets from Wilton for the track. I made a World Grand Prix sticker for the trophy and created flags on my computer, cut them and used toothpicks for the flagpoles. The rest was done with frosting and cake decorations.



I am happy to report that the cake was a big hit! He loved it. I love him. Happy Birthday, little buddy!!

3 comments :

Annette Allen said...

awesome cake...he is so lucky...Happy Birthday to him...

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

What a great cake! I am sure you son LOVED it! My twin boys who are five are giving it a thumbs up! They can't wait for Cars 2 to come out on Friday! :)

Jocelyn Olson said...

What an awesome idea to print the flags for the cake! Great cake decorating, too! Happy birthday to your son :) Is he starting Kindergarten this fall (my daughter is, too)?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...